Monday, October 4, 2010

Game, Set, Match

A big pet peeve of mine....parents who live vicariously through their children. I mean, really? Your kids are not you and they have been born with their own set of interests, talents and God given gifts. Your job is to help nurture their gifts and to help them discover who God created them to be.

With that said, let me tell a little story. On Saturdays, I sometimes play in a tennis league. Trey decided to surprise me and brought the girls to watch. Well, there is one little girl of mine, in particular, who goes crazy when she sees tennis courts. Always has. From the time she was one, she wanted to just run and chase balls on them. On Saturday, she requested to use my racquet, so we let her swing at the ball for a while. She was not happy when it was time to go. Since Saturday, she has been BEGGING to play tennis more and more. Sooo....we've been hitting special tennis balls for beginners. I mean, if the girl is interested, as her parent, I cannot hold her back!!! Plus, it would be fun to have a little tennis girl in the family. So, here's to not living through her, but being secretly excited for her new interest. We shall see if it sticks!
P.S. One of her other favorite things to do.....go with Trey and play "golp." The question is not where she got her tendency to want to play sports. The big question is if she will inherit either (and when I say either....I mean, Trey's) of her parents' attitudes while playing sports :). We shall see....

1 comment:

Bonney said...

Love it! I bet Greg will want to challenge her soon in a match! Of course, he thinks he can also beat you. Secretly, my money's on you Katie!
Go Reese!!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations