...You are at home on a seemingly normal Friday and the phone rings and you notice it's the veterinarian. I was about to start fixing lunch for the girls, when I picked up to talk to their office. Let me add a note at this point: After this year, with all the surgeries, boarding and the death of a dog, I know our vet AND his staff quite well and by name, so receiving a call from them didn't seem weird at all. In fact, I think the Smith family has kept our vet quite profitable during these tough economic times. Now, back to the story... SO, I answer and Kristy, the front desk assistant says, "Mrs. Smith, how's Jake?" I let her know that he's doing pretty well assuming that this was related to his healing after losing Rocky....WRONG. She continues, "So, is he there with you right now?" I say, "Well, not right now because I dropped him off at my friend Jody's house this morning, so he could play with her dogs in the backyard....." Then comes the connection...."DID HE GET OUT AND IS HE MISSING?" She said he was, along with my good friend's dog and they were spotted running around, but someone was trying to catch them both. THANK GOODNESS that he can't run very fast anymore due to the knee issues and that he had his collar on, so they were able to call the vet.
Basically, the two had gotten out a side fence and had the time of their lives. There is no doubt in my mind that my Jake caused the great escape either....note the previous posting where I said he can be a devil still at six. I rushed to pick them both up at the vet after some wonderful wonderful person took the time to round them up and drove them there. On the way, Hailey asked if he was ok and I told her yes, but that I was worried because I didn't want him running loose without me or getting lost. And her reply, "Yea, we don't want Jake lost. But Mom, if he does get lost, can we just get a cat?"

"No Hailey, Mommy wants to keep Jake. Sorry, you'll have to wait on the cat." I wonder what she'd say if I got lost....
2 comments:
Ida wanted me to tell you that she is so excited that Jake is ok! Ida also wanted me to mention that she knows her and Rocky would have gotten along VERY well! She will be living in Dallas for the month before Thanksgiving... maybe a playdate is in order.
Jake does love basset hounds...we'd love to see you guys if you're going to be in town!
Post a Comment