I just love Jake. I mean, I really love this dog. He makes me happy on a tough day. He knows when to just lay next to me when I'm sick and I swear he knows it when I'm pregnant by the way he'll act when he's around my belly. I love it when I can take him on car rides or to the park or to Sonic for a quick drive thru runs. We've had him since he was 8 weeks old and he truly was the first thing that has ever depended on me. He's taught me so much about patience, responsibility and just loving life. I sent him to doggie daycare when I was working (the days before children...so long ago) and he's torn both of his ACL's in his knees and yes, he's had surgies to repair each. And I don't regret it one bit. Some thought that when we started having kids, the dogs would be the first to go....nope.....I still love 'em! I think you're either a dog person or your not. Some tolerate dogs well and think they're fine....they aren't dog people. Dog people know when they're dog people.
We sufferred through the death of our other golden a month ago, Rocky. Now, he was nothing like Jake. We rescued him when he was six months old and we were told when we got him that he was an "extremely intelligent" dog. Ummmmm....if you knew Rocky, you are laughing at that statement right now. Rocky was unbelievably sweet, full of unconditional love, completely in love with his mama, and a total freak. He fit right in to our family. He always would snarf down his food in 15 seconds, run to sit next to Trey when he was on the couch, and would let out the stinkiest burp in his face. Every time he gulped water, he ran to Trey licked his pants or just his leg and water would fly up in his face. If someone looked at him in an odd way, got out a fly swatter or made any type of weird noise, he would fly under our bed....and that was no easy task because he was a tall boy. And when he died a month ago, I was absolutely heartbroken and devastated. It has been an adjustment to not have two dog bowls out in the morning or to not have two dogs jumping all over each other. Jake took it hard too....and that made it even worse because it is one thing for me to miss a dog, it's another to watch a dog lose his best friend and playmate. We're all doing better now and can talk about Rocky. As for Jake, he's gotten to go on many more car rides, eaten too many treats lately and has adjusted to being invited back up on the bed to snuggle in the morning once Trey leaves for work, so life isn't so bad. I love having dogs. I hate losing them, but they're totally worth it in the end.









No comments:
Post a Comment