Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas Everyone!

We've had an unforgetable Chrismas today in the Smith family. It is the first time we've stayed home since having kids for the holiday. As much as we missed seeing our families, it was so relaxing and comfortable to wake up at our home with the girls. Trey's brother, Kyle, drove up and joined us too, which was so nice because our girls (along with us) love Uncle Kyle. We also had some good friends over for a Christmas feast, which meant I got to cook my first turkey, and make gravy, along with all the yummy sides. I think I'm an official grown up now....in my 31 years, I've always had my mom, aunts and a grandmother who cooked it up for the holiday, so I hounded my Aunt Rhonda for family recipes and started our own tradition here. Here are some pics and video clips from today, after attending our Christmas Eve service at church, and at Hailey's Christmas pageant last week at school.


Hailey leaving cookies and a note for Santa before bed.


Santa made it! He left presents in the stockings my mom has handmade for us over the years!


Uncle Kyle and Reese eating cinnamon rolls and drinking hot chocolate.





Hailey loving her Barbie and princess gifts!

What does an 8 month pregnant mother do after a full day of Christmasing? Well, she gets sucked into trying to play Guitar Hero of course!

On another note, I'm sorry that none of our friends and family received Christmas cards from us this year. I actually love doing them and we took a picture of the girls for one, but it never got sent in the hustle and bustle of the season. However, we have loved receiving them from you all. Along with the normal holiday business we all face, I must admit it has been a tough month around here. Many of you know that my mom has been battling metastatic breast cancer for well over a year now. I haven't blogged about it because to be perfectly honest, I am often at a loss of words to type in a blog. Nothing seems meaningful enough or gives her the love, respect and honor that I want to display. Plus, I am just plain heartbroken for her, myself, my dad and brothers, and my girls. She is now under hospice care and is receiving the best care from my dad. They've been married for 38 years. I have appreciated the support, calls, cards, and e-mails throughout this time. I have been reminded on this day that we have received a gift that lasts so much longer than the excitement of opening a present...it lasts an eternity. So on this Christmas, I am filled with joy and sadness, but also with strong hope, faith and the knowledge that our God is the One of love who surpasses all of our earthly understandings and has great plans in store for us. He loved us so much, He sent us his Son.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done, my love

The Hodges said...

I must say, Katie cooked an excellent Christmas dinner. Well done! Thanks again for inviting us to be a part of your day.

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations