Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Quack, Quank and Mars

At dinner, Hailey and I had an interesting conversation. It went like this:

Hailey starts clearing her throat while eating.
Me: Hailey, you ok?
Hailey: Yep, I just had a duck in my throat.
Me: YOU DID? Well, I think they might call it a "frog in your throat."
Pause for some time.
Hailey: Mom, I didn't have a frog in my throat. I had a duck. I know it was a duck because it made a "quank" sound.
Me: Well....I thought ducks said, "quack, not quank." (Trying not to laugh)
Again, silence.
Hailey: Wellllll....some ducks say "quack" and some say "quank." And nobody told me about things in my throat (referring to the frog comment), I just knew about it being a duck all by myself.

Take notes people. I learn new things every day.

On another side note, Hailey and I have spent some good quality time together this past week. She has a project due about Mars tomorrow. Our first science project. To quote my brilliant mother, "Katie, there are only two things that I didn't like about you and your brother's childhoods.....slumber parties and science fairs." I could not agree more with her wise words of wisdom.

I actually had thought the project was due two days after it came home, so Hailey and I put a quick little project together one night......it was returned to me by the teacher. She let me know that we had a week more to work on it and was sure that I'd probably want to expand what we'd done. Yep, this former teacher had a 5 year old's science project returned and rejected. UGH.

Is it bad that I'm a former teacher? Is it bad that I dislike studying the planets at 32 like I did at 12? B-O-R-I-N-G. I don't even do sci-fi movies or books if it has planet or extraterrestrial stuff. Is it wrong of me to want to let Hailey do these projects rather than me doing it for her? I have no intention of doing three sets of homework each night in the upcoming years. Have I mentioned how much I AM DREADING KINDERGARTEN?

In the end, we finished it up today in time for tomorrow. It did give us a chance to sit and talk and learn together. Just us together, so that's good. And....ask Hailey the name of the volcano on Mars, or the name of the largest canyon, or why Mars is the red planet.....she's an expert.





1 comment:

Papaw said...

Katie,
Your precious girls make me laugh...a lot!
Clint

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations