Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It All Started With A Smoke Detector

These days don't happen often, but when they do, oh my goodness, it makes for crazy times around here. It all started with a smoke detector. Two weeks ago at 5:22AM, upstairs, near the childrens' rooms, the beeping of the smoke detector went off. How is it that I can ignore three screaming girls when needed, but I cannot, for the life of me, sleep through that high-pitched beeping noise that occurs once every 15 seconds (oh yes, I've counted)?

Trey and I got up to tackle it. It was on the ceiling (of course) and we were too dazed and tired to get a ladder, so we stood on the end of the couch balancing to change the battery. Not smart. Genius Katie told Trey to move over because I've changed the others in the house before and I KNEW what I was doing. Well, smarty pants Katie broke off a small piece of plastic which broke the battery thingie which meant the WHOLE DANG THING WOULDN'T STOP BEEPING! I broke it. Trey somehow rigged it to work and we went back to bed. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon. Hello beeping. Good-bye sanity.

So, I did the only thing I knew possible to stop the beeping....I shut off the power upstairs at the breaker box (I mean, I REALLY hate the beeping). Trey came home and fixed it again. YEA SAINT TREY! Fast forward to 2:20AM this morning....beeping. Trey fixed it again. Oh wait, at 3:30AM, what's that? BEEPING!!! Trey fixed it again. And then after he left for work....BEEPING!!! I WAS LOSING MY MIND! God bless camp friends who worked for home builders.....a lovely phone call later and I learned how to rip that darn thing from the ceiling until we replace the unit.

In the midst of all of this, we woke up late this morning. Hailey missed the bus. She was crying because she loves the bus AND because I made her wear jeans since it's so cold. When I took her to school, I got in the wrong carpool lane, so she was confused as to where to go. I didn't even get to kiss her good-bye like we always do. She wasn't happy, nor was I, nor was Jake (oh yeah, I let Jake come in the car and he was blocking all walking areas in the car...not smart). I think the smoke detector also acted as a tornado and messed up my house because I would NEVER allow it to get this dirty. I have no laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, shampoo/conditioner, mop cleaning stuff (to help this house) AND my inspection sticker for my car is overdue (which for some reason, I've had men point out to me in parking lots. I mean, REALLY, if you have time to check out other people's inspection stickers then you have WAAAAAY too much time on your hands.....unless you're the cops that is, then you get to hand out big, fat, tickets).

So, forget cleaning, I had to go to a kindergarten party planning meeting!!! Easy enough, it was in our neighborhood. So, off Landry and I go! Of course, we're late because that was the time when our camp friend called to tell me how to disable Mr. Beeper. And, when he called I had just gotten out of the shower, so I was very thankful that no one knocked on the door during that time since I looked so appropriate. Anyways, off to the meeting at the neighbors house. We had to knock a few times at the front door to get the attention of the ladies because we were 15 minutes late.....OR BECAUSE I WENT TO THE WRONG HOUSE! And, asked the lady opening the door, "is this where the party is?" Joke didn't go over so well.

Now, we're home. I'm about to start cleaning. Truly, I'm exhausted....that beeper reminded me of what it's like to have a newborn again (NO...THANK....YOU). Then, it's off to get Reese from preschool. Then, I have one hour to get all my cleaning stuff before Hailey gets off the bus. Then we have 30 minutes to make it to gymnastics. Then, they'll be starving for dinner and I have to get that going. Then homework and baths. And then.....(say it with me)....BEDTIME.

And tonight, there will be NO BEEPING. HOORAY!!!!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

I guess I know why you didn't answer your phone when I called this morning. :) Hope your day improves dramatically!

Karin said...

Oh Katie - what a day. Ugh. I feel your pain! LOVE the blog book!

Lisa said...

OH my... so excited about throwing another baby into my mix :) HAHA!

ps... just imagine the darn thing beeping at 1am when your husband is away on business and you aren't tall enough to reach the darn thing and you can't reach the ladder that is neatly hung in the garage... so it could have been worse. Worst night ever. Thankfully my neighbor saved me in the morning ... he is much taller than me! :)

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations