Trey and I just got back from a trip to Colorado. We celebrated 10 years of marriage in January and swore we'd take a trip. January wasn't a good time since he had just changed jobs, so we waited for the summer. I hadn't been to Co. since I was a kid and he hadn't been there in the summer (besides an outward bound trip in high school and he didn't see much civilization on that trip!). We decided to go somewhere where neither of us have been and we have some old camp friends that live in the Beaver Creek/Vail area, so the planning began with some tips from them!
We've learned so much in 10 years of marriage. One of those things being how we like to vacation. We like to have things to do with the option of relaxing also. This was the perfect blend. We went hiking on our first day there. We went about 4 miles.
Here's a shot of Beaver Creek area from one of our spots.
Day 2 we went mountain biking for about 4 hours. I LOVED it! I don't have pictures of us on bikes nor do I have one of the bruises we both got (means we're tough...and clumsy), but I do have one of the place where we stopped to eat lunch. Not too shabby!!
After that we were off to the pool to sit and read with some mountain views. Day 3 and we split up. Trey's always wanted to learn to fly fish (I have not) and I always like a little time at the spa (Trey does not). Ten years of marriage has also taught us that when are interests are completely different on something, rather than fake it and pretend we like something we don't, we high five, go our separate ways for some fun and then meet up later! I wasn't about to take a spa pic, but Trey got some good ones fly fishing! He's addicted.
And on day 4, we went on an adventure....white water rafting. The gear one wears for white water rafting is extremely appealing to the eye with the booties and helmets.


And they spend 30 minutes educating you on what to do if you fall out of the boat and warning you of every possible thing that can go wrong (i.e. as a mother and father of three children, you wonder if you should actually be partaking in the activity and the parent guilt rises up), but in the end it was well worth it, we stayed safe and the canyon views were spectacular. They caught us cracking up in the front of the boat.

The village we were in had ice skating, even in the summer in the evenings!

And on our way back to the airport, we stopped in Breckenridge to ride the Gold Coast Roller Coaster. Basically, it's an alpine slide, but it's built above ground so you can go all year round in rain or shine.

But my favorite part of the trip was just the time we spent together. I mean, we actually started AND finished conversations without being interrupted by screams or taking a little one potty or by phone calls, etc. I love him more and more as time goes on. We look back now and see how we have grown together and grown up together. We aren't perfect people, but we love each other unconditionally and I know that even as our kids grow up, I'll always have my best friend to come home to at the end of the day. And for that, we thank God.
But my favorite part of the trip was just the time we spent together. I mean, we actually started AND finished conversations without being interrupted by screams or taking a little one potty or by phone calls, etc. I love him more and more as time goes on. We look back now and see how we have grown together and grown up together. We aren't perfect people, but we love each other unconditionally and I know that even as our kids grow up, I'll always have my best friend to come home to at the end of the day. And for that, we thank God.
And also, a HUGE shout out to Granni and Trey's cousin Courtney. Not only did they watch over our precious cargo, but my girls had such a fun time with them. We couldn't have done it without her help, so we are unbelievably thankful!!! And....Granni even took on the task of cleaning and scrubbing down our kitchen table and chairs, which I had been avoiding with all of my might. I came home to a clean home, clean laundry, a clean table and happy children. That, is what I call the ultimate vacation!









2 comments:
On your rafting trip, did anyone say, "Watch this maneuver, Angelique!"?? :)
So happy for you guys! Looks like you had an amazing time. This is very inspiring....I think Greggie and I need to do someting very soon! We love and miss you guys!
Post a Comment